Enroll a Child Into Our Free Mentoring Program
When cancer hits the family it can be a devastating and debilitating experience for everyone. For the children involved, the illness can cause fear, confusion, and loneliness. No matter if you’re a parent, counselor, family friend — seeing a child suffer like this can be frustrating, and it can often be difficult to find the appropriate support. Walk With Sally can help. Through our programs and services, we aim to improve the mood, quality of life, and coping skills of these children. By creating a safe and secure environment and offering them an advocate focused on providing one-on-one attention, we are able to alleviate this frustration and provide your family with support during this difficult time.
Counselor or Organization Staff:
- Complete this referral form.
- Once the form is completed, someone from the WWS Program Staff will be in touch with both you and the family to discuss next steps and schedule an intake.
Parent or Guardian::
- We want to make this process as easy as possible. Email or call our office letting us know you’re interested in enrolling your child, and we can schedule an intake.
The Intake Process
This is a 15 minute phone call with a parent or guardian. The WWS Staff uses this time to fill out the child/youth application with the family, gathering all necessary information which will allow WWS to match the child with the best possible mentor/volunteer. Once this step has been completed, an in-person meeting with WWS staff is scheduled.
This is an opportunity for WWS Staff to learn more about the child and the family. It also gives the family a chance to ask questions and address any concerns they may have about the program.
It's a Match!
- Once all steps are completed, your child is ready to be matched! WWS looks at a variety of factors in an effort to find him/her there best possible mentor. These include: cancer story, location, interests, just to name a few.
- Finding your child the perfect mentor can take anywhere from one to eight weeks.
- Once we find your child a mentor, it’s time to set up a MATCH DAY